Shelter Box USA, Inc. (also known as ShelterBox USA)
ShelterBox USA (referred to as “ShelterBox USA,” “ShelterBoxUSA.org,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Information we may collect from you
Depending on the type of communication or transaction, the personal information we collect may include, but is not limited to, your name, postal address, zip code, telephone number, organization name, e-mail address, credit card, bank information or billing information.
You will be asked to provide your personal information when making donations, making purchases at our online gift shop, requesting communications, applying for a job with ShelterBox USA and/or in connection with other ShelterBox USA business (whether it is via the web site, e-mail, direct mail or telephone communications).
ShelterBox intends to protect the quality and integrity of your personally identifiable information. Only designated employees have access to hard copies of your personal information and personal information is not shared outside the organization.
We have implemented appropriate physical, technical and organizational measures, including industry-standard encryption for transmission of credit card information, to help keep your information secure, accurate, current and complete. All online transactions are done on a secure server. Information entered on the transaction page is encrypted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) before transmission, which protects information as it is transferred through the Internet. On secure pages, a closed lock or key symbol is displayed in the bottom part of your browser screen and the website address in the address bar at the top of the browser screen starts with an “https” instead of an “http.” Donation pages are verified by VeriSign.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general Internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalized service. They enable us:
• to estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
• to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customize our site according to your individual interests; and to recognize you when you return to our site.
Where we store your personal data
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
• to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
• to notify you about changes.
We may also use your data to provide you with information by post when requested by you. We will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or text) with information requested by you. If you do not want us to use your data in this way please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• in the event that we dispose of, acquire or merge with another charity in which case we may disclose your personal data;
• if ShelterBox USA is acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our site users and donors will be transferred; and
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by ticking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at [email protected] Our site may, from time to time, contain links to other web sites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ShelterBox USA may revise its privacy practices to address changing technology, security measures and website functionality. We strive to provide you with timely notice of these changes. Please contact us if you have any questions about changes to our practices.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (941) 907-6036
Mail: ShelterBox USA, 8374 Market Street, P.O. Box 203, Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202
Thank you for visiting our site.
OTHER POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Ethical Standards/Conflict of Interest Policy
ShelterBox USA believes in conducting business activities with integrity, fairness, and in accordance with the highest possible ethical standards. Employees enjoy the benefits of the organization’s reputation in the community and are obligated to uphold the organization’s ethical standards in every business activity.
Exactly what constitutes a conflict of interest or an unethical business practice is both a moral and a legal question. ShelterBox USA recognizes and respects an employee’s right to engage in other activities outside of employment that are private in nature and do not in any way conflict with or reflect poorly on the organization. The organization reserves the right, however, to determine when an employee’s activities reflect poor judgment or represent a conflict of the organization’s interests; the organization further reserves the right to take whatever action is necessary to resolve the situation, including but not limited to termination.
If an employee is ever in doubt whether an activity violates ShelterBox USA’s ethical standards, may be a conflict of interest, or may compromise the organization’s reputation, the employee should discuss it with his or her supervisor prior to engaging in such activity.
Anti-Discrimination, Anti-Harassment and Anti-Retaliation
ShelterBox USA expressly prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based on race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category enumerated by applicable local ordinance, state law, or federal law.
The organization’s policies regarding anti-discrimination, anti-harassment and anti-retaliation apply to applicants, employees, and clients, including the youth we serve. The organization prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation whether engaged in by co-workers, by a supervisor or manager, or by someone not directly connected to the organization such as outside vendors, consultants, colleagues or clients. The organization will not tolerate any attempts of retaliation against an employee who raises a sincere and valid concern regarding harassment or discrimination. Anyone engaging in discrimination, harassment, or retaliation is subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
As used in this policy, the term “harassment” refers to conduct relating to or targeting a person’s race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category. Harassment that is forbidden by this policy can take several forms, including but not limited to:
• Unwanted sexual advances, whether verbal or physical in nature.
• Offering employment benefits in exchange for sexual favors.
• Making or threatening reprisals after a negative response to harassment.
• Visual conduct such as leering, making sexual gestures, displaying or distributing sexually suggestive objects or pictures, cartoons or posters, making derogatory comments, epithets, slurs, or jokes.
• Graphic verbal commentaries about an individual’s body, sexually degrading words used to describe an individual, suggestive or obscene letters, notes or invitations.
• Physical conduct or threat of physical conduct, such as touching, assault, or impeding or blocking movements.
• Jokes or cartoons, including those forwarded via email, that refer to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category.
• Engaging in dialogue, conduct or other inappropriate interaction with the Organization’s clients. In light of the population served by the Organization, employees need to be aware of additional sensitivities and the heightened vulnerability of our adolescent client base.
The organization prohibits retaliation for employees who make complaints about any real or reasonably perceived illegal policies, practices, or activities.
An employee should follow the organization’s complaint procedure and immediately bring to the attention of the organization’s President the activity, policy, or practice that the employee believes is in violation of the law. The employee must allow the organization a reasonable opportunity to correct the practice, policy or activity.
The organization will not discriminate or take retaliatory action against an employee because the employee has:
• disclosed or threatened to disclose to an appropriate government agency, under oath, in writing, an activity, policy or practice of the employer that is in violation of a law, rule, or regulation;
• provided information to, or testified before, any appropriate governmental agency or person conducting an inquiry regarding the violation of a law, rule, or regulation by the employer; or
• objected to, or refused to participate in, any activity, policy, or practice of the employer which is in violation of a law, rule, or regulation.
The organization will not discriminate or take retaliatory action against any employee because the employee has taken authorized medical leave, military leave, or used any organization benefit.
It is the intent of ShelterBox USA to adhere to all laws and regulations that apply to the organization, and the underlying purpose of this Policy is to support the organization’s goal of legal compliance. The support of all employees is necessary to achieving compliance with various laws and regulations. An employee is protected from retaliation only if the employee brings the alleged unlawful activity, policy, or practice to the attention of ShelterBox USA and provides ShelterBox USA with a reasonable opportunity to investigate and correct the alleged unlawful activity. The protection described below is only available to employees that comply with this requirement.
ShelterBox USA will not retaliate against an employee who, in good faith, has made a protest or raised a complaint against some practice of ShelterBox USA or of another individual or entity with whom ShelterBox USA had a business relationship, on the basis of a reasonable belief that the practice is in violation of law or a clear mandate of public policy.
ShelterBox USA will not retaliate against an employee who discloses or threatens to disclose to a supervisor or a public body any activity, policy, or practice of ShelterBox USA that the employee reasonably believes is in violation of a law, or a rule, or regulation mandated pursuant to law or is in violation of a clear mandate or public policy concerning health, safety, welfare, or protection of the environment.
Records Retention and Destruction Policy
ShelterBox USA follows established guidelines for appropriate records retention and destruction. It is the policy of the organization that its records be retained only during the period of their immediate use unless longer retention is required by law or for internal or historical reference. Records relevant to a legal action are not to be destroyed without the approval of the President.
Adequate records will be developed and maintained to document ShelterBox USA’s compliance with all relevant laws.
• The privacy and security of records will be appropriately assured.
• All records which may substantially affect the obligations of the organization will be retained for a period of time which reasonably assures the availability of records when needed.
• Destruction of records shall take place pursuant to a standard policy developed for business reasons. The organization will not deliberately destroy records in anticipation of a specific problem.
• Records of all types, including hardcopy documents, electronic files and images are covered by this policy.
• All records are to be kept for at least the minimum period as stated in applicable state or federal regulations.
SHELTERBOX WEB SITE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Your use constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions as at the date of your first use of the site.
2. ShelterBox reserves the rights to change these terms and conditions at any time by posting changes online. Your continued use of this site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of this agreement as modified.
3. You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights, or restrict, or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the site by any third party.
4. This site and the information, names, images, pictures, logos regarding or relating to ShelterBox are provided without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether expressed or implied. In no event will ShelterBox be liable for any damages including, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever arising from the use or in connection with such use or loss of use of the site, whether in contract or in negligence.
5. ShelterBox will not be liable for any damage, including direct or consequential damages, or any damages arising from the use or loss of use of the website, or the loss of data or profits, whether in contract, negligence or other action, arising for the use of this website.
6. ShelterBox does not warrant that the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy and reliability of the materials.
7. Commercial use or publication of all or any item displayed – including logos – is strictly prohibited without prior written authorisation from ShelterBox. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring permission from ShelterBox to use any item displayed. Items can be used for personal, educational and non-commercial uses.
Sometimes documents and images not owned by ShelterBox have been published on this site. These have been published with the permission of the relevant copyright owners. All rights are reserved on these documents and images and permission to copy them must be requested from the owners of the copyright.
8. ShelterBox takes no responsibility for the content of external Internet sites with which we link. The fact that we include links to other websites does not mean that ShelterBox approves of or endorses any other third party website or the content of that website. We accept no liability for any statements, information, products or services that are published on or are accessible through any websites owned or operated by third parties. ShelterBox does not guarantee the security of the sites, the operation of the links or that they will be virus free.
9. Any communication or material that you transmit to, or post on, any public area of the site including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like, is, and will be treated as, nonconfidential and nonproprietary information. All emails and information sent over the internet is sent at your own risk and ShelterBox cannot take responsibility for their security.
10. If these terms and conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this site must be terminated immediately.