ShelterBox is a leading global nonprofit organization whose mission is to deliver humanitarian aid in the form of shelter and lifesaving supplies when natural disaster or political conflict devastates a region. From Syria, to Somaliland, the Philippines, Indonesia, the Lake Chad Basin, and beyond, in 2019 ShelterBox provided shelter to more than 145,000 people who were left homeless from disaster and conflict situations. ShelterBox has a four-star rating from Charity Navigator, a platinum status in GuideStar, was nominated for the 2018 and 2019 Nobel Peace Prize and is the official project partner of Rotary International in disaster relief.
Our vision is of a world in which all people displaced by disasters and humanitarian crises are rapidly provided with emergency shelter. Our commitment is to providing shelter and vital aid which will help rebuild communities and lives. Our work makes ShelterBox USA a unique, exciting and meaningful place to work.
OUR (AWESOME) TEAM
We are a fast-paced, high-performance team that is ambitious in our pursuits, passionate about our mission, and creative in our execution. We encourage professional development by exposing team members to all aspects of our organization. We’re looking for qualified professionals who are innovative, align with our values, and who are passionate about helping people in need and inspiring others.
Think you want to join our team? Please ask yourself the following questions:
1. Am I a self-starter and do I thrive in an entrepreneurial environment where I’m responsible for all aspects of my role, doing my part to help run an efficient business, and assist in the development of long-term goals and the strategies to reach them?
2. Do I have the ability to relate closely to colleagues as internal customers and to help remove roadblocks so others can shine in their roles?
3. Am I passionate about contributing to continued dynamic improvements in the global humanitarian aid arena?
If you’ve answered “yes” to each question, please read on!
Foundation Relations Manager
ShelterBox USA is looking for a dynamic and strategy-minded Foundation Relations Manager who will partner with SBUSA’s Director of Foundation Relations. This position is responsible for growing and sustaining funding from foundations to support the global mission of providing emergency shelter and essential supplies to communities devastated by disaster or conflict situations.
The Manager is responsible for facilitating the entire fundraising cycle including identifying, soliciting, stewarding, growing and renewing foundation gifts to support ShelterBox USA’s mission. This includes but is not limited to prospect, donor, grant, and report research; foundation grant and report writing, foundation data management and analysis, and strategic planning.
Additional critical tasks include
- Fundraising (30%): Work with Director of Foundation Relations to establish short and long-range goals, objectives, and tactics for the Foundation Relations Manager within the Foundation Relations Department.
- Grant and Report Writing: Write proposals and reports.
- Cultivate and Steward: Steward relationships with assigned prospects and donors.
- Research (30%): Identifying and researching foundation prospects, donors, and grant opportunities to inform foundation relations fundraising tactics. Researching countries, humanitarian crisis, and disasters to inform proposals and reports to foundations, which will also be used to inform and educate the broader ShelterBox USA team and assist other areas of fundraising at ShelterBox.
- Database and Records Management (30%):
- Maintenance: Maintain up-to-date foundation accounts and correspondence within Raiser’s Edge database and SharePoint/Teams files. Utilize and leverage Raiser’s Edge to ensure timeliness of grant solicitations and reports.
- Track, Analyze, and Report: Maintain accurate accounting of all foundation income and its sources. Interface with finance team to fulfill information requests and maintain reporting accuracy. Utilize and leverage Raiser’s Edge as an analysis tool to track donors, identify trends, and improve overall work of department including generating queries, reports, exports and other collection data as needed.
- Other Duties as Assigned (10%): The Foundation Relations Manager will occasionally be asked to take on other projects or partner with other members of the fundraising team to support campaign appeals and events.
Position Status and Location
This position is an exempt, full-time role and is located at ShelterBox USA’s fundraising headquarters in Santa Barbara, California.
The Person We’re Looking For
The person we are looking for is dynamic, full of energy and focused on our goal of establishing and building deeper relationship to secure foundation gifts. The Foundation Relations Manager is responsible for supporting the foundation fundraising activities of ShelterBox USA.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent prior experience in international development, global studies, nonprofit management, global economics, disaster management, or a similar area.
- Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and Excel), and database management skills.
- High interest in global humanitarian work, familiarity with global news, human rights, development issues, and crisis/disaster issues.
- Excellent research, organizational, and communications skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- 2-4 years of experience in research, grant and report writing, donor stewardship.
- Attention to detail with a high degree of initiative.
- Approaches mistakes and challenges with a lesson-learned, problem-solving attitude.
- Proven track record of achieving goals.
- Exceptional team player with a proactive, “can-do” attitude, and the ability to work flexibly and problem-solve within a team and individually.
- Experience working with a database, Raiser’s Edge.
- Adobe InDesign experience a plus, but not required.
We offer a progressive benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, and professional growth opportunities
Due to the nature of a disaster relief organization, employees may be asked to work extended hours or on holidays without much advance notice.
At ShelterBox, successful leaders are engaged, lifelong learners who are excellent listeners and coaches, and value deep, authentic collaboration in a cross-functional team. Most importantly, at ShelterBox, success is measured in the “we” and not the “me.” Our leaders believe that their own success is measured not by personal accomplishment, but by how their team is growing and contributing, both as individuals and as a whole.
Instructions on How to Apply
To apply for this position, submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] . Resumes with accompanying cover letters will be considered more carefully than those without. Please include salary expectations. No phones calls please.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Serving on the ShelterBox USA Board of Directors is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about building the capacity of a dynamic nonprofit to serve more of the world’s most vulnerable people.
The organization’s Board of Directors is comprised of leaders dedicated to the organization’s vision of a world in which all people displaced by disasters and humanitarian crises are rapidly provided with emergency shelter and vital aid, which will help rebuild their communities and lives. They are active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and are fully engaged in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission
Although applicants from throughout the USA are encouraged to apply, in order to expand our presence in certain geographic areas, candidates from New York City or Washington, DC are preferred. In addition, we are specifically seeking individuals with contacts in USAID and the Department of State, as well as candidates with contacts in large foundations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
Ideal candidates for the two-year compensation-free term will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- Specific expertise in at least three of the following areas: Business Acumen, Strategic Planning, Finance/Accounting, Governance, Human Resources, Legal, Sales, Marketing, PR, Social and Other Media, Information Technology, International Development/Relief, Fundraising/Development.
- We have a unique partnership with the Rotary International network, and accordingly, past Rotary Club District Governors are encouraged to apply.
- A commitment to the organization’s mission to deliver humanitarian relief in the form of equipment and materials that bring shelter, warmth and dignity to people made homeless by natural or other disasters worldwide.
- An affinity for cultivating relationships, building consensus among diverse individuals and inspiring action.
- A desire to help the organization raise funds for its mission and build relationships with high net-worth influencers.
- A belief in, and ability to live up to, the organization’s core values of transparency, accountability, immediacy, integrity and collaboration.
How to Apply:
If interested in becoming a candidate for the Board of Directors of ShelterBox USA, please submit your resume via email to [email protected].
Equal Opportunity Employer
The organization provides equal employment opportunities to qualified persons without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category enumerated by applicable local ordinance, state law, or federal law.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email (No phone calls) to: