ShelterBox USA is the U.S. headquarters and one of 18 global affiliates of ShelterBox, the leading international humanitarian relief organization that specializes in providing emergency shelter to families who are displaced by disaster or conflict.
Our vision is of a world in which all people displaced by disasters and humanitarian crises are rapidly provided with emergency shelter.
Our commitment is to providing shelter and vital aid which will help rebuild communities and lives. Our work makes ShelterBox USA a unique, exciting and meaningful place to work.
We’re looking for qualified professionals who are innovative, align with our values, and who are passionate about helping people in need and inspiring others.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email (No phone calls) to: [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employer
The organization provides equal employment opportunities to qualified persons without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category enumerated by applicable local ordinance, state law, or federal law.
Major Gifts Officer
ShelterBox USA is a non-profit organization with a mission to deliver humanitarian relief in the form of life-saving equipment and supplies that bring shelter, warmth and dignity to
people affected by natural and other disasters worldwide.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for securing significant revenue for the organization from existing donors/prospects and identifies, researches and cultivates new prospects. Primary focus will be on growing a long-term, sustained donor base of individual donors for ShelterBox USA.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Major Gifts Officer duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Cultivation and Fundraising
• Develop, plan and implement strategies focused on engaging, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual donors and prospects. Manage portfolio of roughly 180 donors.
• Develop and strengthen relationships with existing and prospective donors that lead to gifts to the organization ranging from $10,000+ annually.
• Manage the Major Donor Recognition Program for ShelterBox USA.
• Ensure the fundraising goals and metrics set by ShelterBox USA are met on an ongoing basis.
• Increase number of donors and average gift size to establish a strong, sustainable core base of support for the organization.
• Work collaboratively with ShelterBox International/HQ on the development of Cases for Support and fundable initiatives for the organization.
• Achieve results within assigned portfolio.
• Assist with planning, designing and implementing a planned giving campaign.
• Present organizational information and request various forms of support primarily from individuals, and occasionally from businesses, organizations, and corporate funders.
• Plan, design, implement donor recognition levels and programs.
• Enter donor/prospect information and meeting/call notes into database records as applicable.
• Serve as primary staff liaison to the ShelterBox USA Development Committee. Frequent presentations to the Board of Directors for ShelterBox USA.
• Use computer word processing, spreadsheet and donor database software to prepare letters, reports, case for support, presentations and more.
• Work collaboratively with ShelterBox USA President on the cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of major gifts to the organization.
• Organize and prioritize large volumes of calls, e-mails; draft written responses or replies
• Schedule activities such as meetings, travel, special donor events, conferences and more.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of word processing, databases, spreadsheets, e-mail and internet software.
• Knowledge of Blackbaud products and specifically, Raiser’s Edge software, preferred.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Demonstrated problem, solving, analysis, information gathering and monitoring skills.
• Ability to work with highly confidential and sensitive information at all levels.
• Strong oral and written communication and listening skills and sophisticated interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Understand ethical behavior and non-profit business practices and ensure own behavior is consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
• Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Self-motivated; comfort and ability to work in an unsupervised environment while meeting established milestones, metrics and agreed-upon goals.
• Must be a highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships and closing gifts.
• Anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of internal and external donors.
• Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
• Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
• Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals and track details, data, activities and information.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to perform analysis of data, issues and situations that require forethought and follow-up.
• Professional, friendly and courteous demeanor.
• Ability to multi-task and accept diverse assignments.
• BA/BS degree or equivalent is required.
• 7 or more years of demonstrable, professional fundraising experience.
• Experience with Planned Giving campaigns and vehicles required.
This is a full-time exempt (salaried) position. Normal work hours are a standard work week. Overtime may be required. Additionally, due to the nature of a disaster relief organization, employees may be asked to work extended hours or on holidays without much notice.
Working Environment and Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands or arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Possibility for candidate to work out of California, Florida, or remote office environment but will be required to frequently travel and perform duties at external locations.
Travel is required for this position.
This position reports to the President.